Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blog Assignment #1

About Me                                                                                                                                                 I am a second semester senior at the University of South Alabama. I have lived in Mobile most of my life, and graduated in 2001 from C.F. Vigor High. In 2002 I left my hometown to go to Montgomery, AL to start on my degree in education which was very exciting because I finally felt like an adult. I really enjoyed myself partying,drinking,and staying out late. I had an opportunity to go to school and finish, but instead I abused it and did not finish.In 2008 my mom got really sick so I decided to move back home to help take care of her. I have two other siblings a sister and a brother, two nephews and one niece whom I adore.

I have been a server at Longhorn for close to five years,I decided last year to go back to school and finish. I now have an eight month old daughter and her father and I are raising her together and we are teaching her to be more responsible. I am also passionate about singing, it helps me stay calm even when I'm mad or upset. I have made plenty of mistakes in life that was worth learning from and that's what keeps me going. I went to the Bahamas last year  which was my first time out of the country and I truly enjoyed myself. Lastly, I will work harder to have a degree so I can do more things like that and be a great example for my daughter .



My Future Classroom                                                                                                                           In my future classroom which would be elementary I will be a caring,focused,and helpful teacher. I will use tons of teaching methods especially hands on and visuals. My teaching methods will be: lectures,class discussion,maps,globes, field trips,and educational films. I want to keep my class lively and I want my students to learn.I will have computer technology that will be used but not all the time because being hands on helps what they learn stick to the brain.

My students will learn at a very high level as much as possible.I will keep them involved so they can stay focused. I will ask them what tools do they feel most comfortable with so I can relate to whats easier for them. I want my students to be excited and pumped about learning,also I want them to know how important it is to get an education.

 My students will have plenty of learning tools such as computers,maps,textbooks and much more.I feel that tools are a big part of learning because they can refer back to these things so they will never forget. Technology will be a really big part of my learning tools because it is changing everyday and it will hold the most and recent information. I love reading so there will be a lot of reading out loud in my class so everyone can get a chance to participate.

My elementary classroom will be very colorful with learning information around them at all times.I will have different stations setup for them to work in so they won't be in one spot at all times. I will also have pictures and maps up so they can always have visuals to look at. My class will be very fun and interesting and I want my students to want to come to school.




Randy Pausch on Time Management
Dr.Pausch is the professor who wrote ''Last Lecture'' which was about goals, priorities, and planning.He talked about doing the right thing adequately and don't do the wrong things beautifully which made perfect sense. Experience comes with time, basically learn from your mistake learn while it's bad so it can go good.He also said,"failing to plan is planning to fail".

I learned that if I make a to-do list and break things down into small steps i wont forget anything. Next, do the ugliest or biggest thing first and get it out of the way. Dr.Pausch had pancreatic cancer he had tumors in his liver, even though he was very much in shape he had no control of the sickness.He knew he was about to die so he was able to prepare himself and his family for this hard time.He died at the age of 48 at his home surrounded with his close family.

3 comments:

  1. "Never give up" is a quote that comes to mind when reading your About Me. I admire that you chose to come back to school (a task that most people are not strong enough to do). I am jealous of the hard work ethic you have in order to balance parenting, work, and being a student. I think you will be a great role model for both your future students and your daughter. Also, St. Marteen is a beautiful place to visit if you are ever in need of a vacation destination. I am in no position to judge how well your classroom will be, but the words "hands on" sound like a good thing to determine whether or not it will be a successful one. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture later this semester. It is a powerful and moving video!

    I am glad you have learned your life lesson and are back at work in school.

    Well written. Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete